2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract / essence
- Whisk flour,salt and soda together.
- In a mixer, beat butter and sugar for mins. Add eggs, vanilla extract and whip well
- Add flour mixture and and keep mixing till it forms a firm dough
- Divide in two halves. Wrap in cling wrap and chill for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 177*C
- Take two baking sheets and grease them.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to a thickness of 1cm. Keep turning so that it doesnt stick
- Cut cookies in varied designs with the cookie cutters.
- Place them on the baking sheet and chill them for 15 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and bake it for 8-10 minutes ( edges start to brown)
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- In a mixer,beat egg whites and lemon juice.
- Add the icing sugar. Beat on low speed till smooth.
- Add more sugar or water to take a piping consistency
- Add food colour of your choice and mix well
- You can pipe these on the cookies or just cover the whole cookie top as per the designs you want to create
- Let the cookies icing dry completely before storing the cookies in an airtight container.