- Seive the flour,semolina,gramflour and soda in a bowl
- Add cardamom powder and sugar
- Melt the clarified butter and add it to the flour mixture
- Now knead the mixture in a soft dough with hands till its smooth and not crumbly
- Wrap it in a cling film wrap and keep it aside for 2-3 hours to rest
- Preheat the oven to 180*C for ten minutes before baking
- Grease a baking tray with butter
- Now make small round balls and put them on the baking tray. Press the balls slightly with your fingers to make them look like a cookie ( Do not flatten them )
- Keep space between cookies as they will expand while baking
- Bake in the oven at 180*C for 15 minutes or till the top is slightly brown ( refer the picture in the recipe)
- Remove from the oven and let them cool ( when you touch the cookies in the oven they will feel a little soft. Do not over bake thinking they are not cooked as they will become hard after cooling down)
- Once cooled, store in an air tight container and enjoy them with a hot cup of tea or coffee
Monday, 10 September 2012
"Nankhatai Cookies"/ "Eggless Shortbread Cookies"
Going nuts about cookies ...
This weekend was another fabulous time to bake a set of mouthwatering cookies for my loved ones.. I have already shared some recipes of butter and chocolate cookies before . Today I'll share the old time granny recipe of a shortbread cookie which is popularly known as "Nankhatai" in India.
This cookie is a classic when it comes to taste and looks. Round cookies with crunchy exteriors and soft interiors baked to perfection are an absolute delight.They are eggless and made with clarified butter which adds to the richness of the texture. Try one of these cookies with tea or coffee and you will keep asking for more :)
Enjoy this recipe and do share your thoughts and feedback
" Nankhatai Cookies / Eggless Shortbread Cookies
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup semolina
1/2 cup gram flour
a pinch of soda bi carb
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1/2 cup clarified butter ( ghee ) / unsalted white butter
2/3 cup powdered sugar
Note : I have given an option of using unsalted white butter if you cant find clarified butter. You can also make them look more pretty by putting cashew and pistachio pieces on top before baking.