- Rinse the strawberries and remove the leaves from berries.
- Put the berries and sugar in a pan and put on low heat. Simmer softly for around ten minutes or till the fruit has become soft. Let it cool.
- Once its cooled down blend it together. Seive the syrup to get a smooth sauce.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Chill the coulis before serving
- To serve, cut slices of the cake and arrange on a plate. Drop some spoonfuls of coulis all around and over the slices. Decorate with freshly cut strawberries and dust it with some icing sugar. Serve chilled
Wednesday, 12 December 2012
"Sponge Fingers with Strawberry Coulis"
Its the season for Strawberries. I love the rich red colour and the aroma of this beautiful fruit. Eat it like that or convert it into jams, sauces, pulps or icecream. You can enjoy this luscious red fruit in any and many ways.
Christmas season is about guests and family gatherings and celebrations. The whole idea of celebration revolves around good food and wine :) Listening to carols and chitchatting with your friends and family,you will not get enough time to prepare massive desserts. So I am sharing a quickfix dessert for you which you can serve for coffee or after dinner. Prepare the sponge cake and sauce in advance and store it in an airtight container and you can prepare this dessert in a jiffy without putting in much effort ;)
Hope you enjoy this simple and delicious recipe. Happy Baking !!!!!
" Sponge fingers with Strawberry coulis"
For Sponge cake please follow my Eggless Tea Cake or Britannia Fruit Cake recipe. You can also use a readymade vanilla sponge for this dessert
For Coulis :
250 gms fresh strawberries
80-100 gms castor sugar ( as per your sweet tooth)
1 tbsp of lemon juice
some fresh strawberries to decorate
Icing sugar for dusting
Note : You can store this coulis for upto a week in an airtight container in the fridge. Just like strawberries you can make this sauce with Raspberries, Blueberries,etc for different taste and colours.
If you want to experiment more then try using chocolate cake slices with the coulis and enjoy the sinful taste:)
Also, you can decorate the dessert with other freshly cut fruits like bananas or oranges. I also like to pour a littlt hot chocolate sauce on the plate to add more dimension to this dessert. There are way too many options to add to this simple cake and coulis and make it extraordinary so keep trying new versions and do share them with us.