This time I tried my hands on Swiss Roll. Its a beautiful rolled cake which is so soft and tender that it makes you want more and more with every bite. The round slice which looks like a ribbon roll filled with creams and colours is an absolute rich and beautiful creation.
I made the classic swiss roll recipe with cream & jam filling and it tasted absolutely divine. So, here's the recipe and I hope you will make this simple yet gorgeous baked delight.
Happy Baking !!!!
- Preheat the oven to 190*C for ten minutes before baking.
- Lightly grease a Swiss roll tin with butter and arrange a butter or baking paper covering the base and sides.Grease the paper slightly with butter and flour.
- Beat the eggs with an electric hand mixer or beater till light and fluffy. Add sugar and keep beating till it has increased in volume and becomes smooth and pale.
- Add warm water and vanilla essence. Add flour in small quantitiles and fold it very gently using a metal spoon or rubber spatula, trying not to knock out the air whisked in already.
- Pour the mixture in the prepared tin evenly
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes till its well risen,golden brown and the top springs back when touched. Insert a tooth pick and check if its cooked from inside
- Place a large sheet of baking or butter paper on the kitchen slab. Dust it with lots of caster or icing sugar.
- Slowly invert the cake tin on the paper and leave for few minutes. Now lift the tin and paper slowly from the top of the cake
- Cover the cake with a damp towel for 20 mins till it cools down. This will prevent it from cracking.
- Whip the cream with little caster sugar and make it smooth and fluffy. If the jam is hard and brittle, soften it with little warm water before spreading
- Once the cake is cool, spread jam on the top of the base. Spread a layer of whipped cream . Make sure both these layers are not covering the corners or sides of the cake. Leave some space on all four sides while spreading
- Now with the short paper side towards you,start folding the cake slowly till it becomes a complete roll. Hold the paper and press the cake with it to avoid any cracks or breakage.
- Lift the roll and place it on the serving plate, dust it with icing sugar.
- Chill for few hours, slice it and serve.